Math can be a tough subject, especially if you use a math curriculum that is all worksheets, test prep, and drills. Kids can become quickly bored with math if this is all they think it is. To get my kids excited about learning math, we try to find fun and creative ways to introduce all math concepts. We read the Life of Fred math storybooks, use math in our every day lives, such as at the grocery store, counting change, cooking, and building projects. But my favorite activity is family game night. We play a lot of math games. Most games incorporate some math, strategy games, card games, counting games, etc. And now there are many games specifically for learning math skill in a fun way.
Math Games for Learning Math in Fun Ways
We love The Magic School Bus kits for science, so I can’t wait to get my hands on the Magic School Bus Math Explosion Game! Check out this game and more math games and printables below.
Here are more math games, including board games, printable games, and DIY games.
10 Math Games for Learning Through Play
1. Multiplication Practice Paperfolding by Kids Activities Blog – By simply folding some paper into cootie catchers, you can actually create an informative math game for students focusing on anything from addition to fractions.
2. Math Wall Stickers (Reusable!) – Play with math on the walls! This set of reuseable wall decals are a great way to turn math into an interactive experience. Play Simon Says with math on the wall! “Simon says show one half.” Love it!!
3. 3D Lego Multiplication Graph via Frugal Fun for Boys – We love Lego, but did you know because of their shape they are great tools for multiplication? This graph will help kids visualize multiplication in three dimensions.
4. Numbers & Counting Quiet Cubes Game – This game designed for ages 4-7 uses dice rolls to help teach ABCs, counting and basic addition. The best part is the foam dice are designed to be super duper quiet for a truly peaceful learning experience!
5. Math Explosion Volcano Game – With this fascinating game, players are able to customize math facts with a math fact creator so that players of all ages can play for many years to come. Be the first player to explode the volcano by getting your math facts correct!
6. Connect Four Bingo Game – Everyone loves Bingo, and when you can take a game that’s already fun and turn it into something educational everyone wins. Children will be paying close attention so they can be the first to exclaim BINGO!
7. Aliens on Vacation multiplication game by Deceptively Educational – This printable board game requires a little setup, but it provides children with a chance to put their math skills to the test to get their alien home from vacation.
8. Factors and Multiples Games – Play Monster Mash! A game that helps students understand greatest common factors and lowest common multiples.
9. Crazy Daisy Multiplication via Deceptively Educational- Looking for something a little more cute? The Crazy Daisy Multiplication printable math game will help kids visualize solutions as they color in a crazy daisy.
10. Whack It! Place Value Math Game – It’s no secret that kids love any game where they can get a little bit physical and give things a good whack, so why not teach math at the same time? This game helps with place values, but can be adjusted for other lessons.