You’re in-laws are coming over and you have no time to prepare a fancy meal, but still want to impress?
Don’t stress out! I have the solution!
This is the easiest “homemade” chicken pot pie (you can barely call this one homemade, but no one has to know how easy it really was!) and it tastes great!
Here’s all you need, a few cans of soup, a bit of flour, and store bought pie dough. Did you know Marie Calendar’s makes a Chicken Pot Pie Soup? Guess what else? It tastes just like their pot pies! Only it’s missing the best part, the crust. So, the idea popped into my head to heat it up in a small ramekin and put some crust over the top.
Tada! Almost instant “homemade” pot pie!
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
For 4 pies:
- 2 cans of soup
- 1 store bought pie dough (should come with two crusts)
- preheat the oven to 425
- add a tsp of flour per can of soup to thicken
- optional: add cheese, more veggies, anything you want really
- roll out dough (you could also make your own from my favorite crust recipe, the best!)
- place empty ramekin upside down on dough and trace about 1/2″ around it
Use extra dough to make shapes to make your pies pretty. I’ve made stars, moons, letters, and leaves. Here’s an example of super simple leaves:
- Cut shapes with knife.
- Press lines into leaves with butter knife to make the veins. They don’t have to be perfect! Natural leaves are all different. I did this in less than a minute and thought they looked all funky, but they turned out beautiful. No stressing!
- Pour soup into ramekins and place the round pie crust on top. Fold the edges under and then gently pinch to hold it together and make it look nice.
- Then place the leaves or other shapes you made on the top. I find it works best to place them off to the side so they don’t weigh down the middle.
- Place on baking sheet in oven for 10-15 minutes, until top is a light brown. The insides will be very hot so allow to cool before you burn your guests mouths! The delicious smell will have filled the house and they won’t be able to restrain themselves if you put it in front of them!
Now that’s impressive!
Of course, you can make your own filling when you have time, if you’d rather have fresh ingredients to really get all the great flavor and nutrition (mmm, I wish I had one right now!) or just need to prove to yourself you can make one from scratch. Either way, nothing is better to warm a tummy and a family on a chilly evening than a fresh out of the oven pot pie!
Gluten Free Option:
For a Quick Gluten-Free Pot Pie, you could use a gluten free potato soup, such as Imagine Foods Creamy Potato Soup and add veggies and chicken pieces. Then use a gluten free pie crust mix such as Moon Rabbit Gluten Free Pastry Pie Crust Mix for your gluten free pot pie crust. It will take a little more effort, but if you’re on a gluten free diet, you’re used to that. This is still quicker than making every bit from scratch, and just as tasty and satisfying! You could also make your own pie crust from my favorite pie crust recipe and supstitute the flour with an all purpose gluten free one-for-one baking flour. My favorite is Namaste Foods Gluten Free Organic Perfect Flour Blend,
Bonus! Kids love to have their own little pie! You could make this with so many different fillings and it’s so fun and simple! They can create their own shapes to decorate the top, too. Enjoy!
Ali Gilbert says
I am always looking for new recipes! And this one looks delicious! 🙂
Mother of 3 says
Love a quick easy meal!